Saturday, January 17, 2009

From Insanity to Sanity. (Interview with Swami Swaram)


Every man is a philosopher and if he is an Osho sanyassin the philosophy he professes is just too strong. A philosopher by mind, a teacher by profession and a sanyassin at heart, Swami Swaram is a thirty year old man from Italy whos been living in Osho Tapoban for the last five months. We talked to him about his experience at Osho Tapoban and his views about Osho and meditation.

How did you come to know about Osho?

When I was 18 I had gone to an underground rock concert. In the concert I saw a man with long hair and an unusually long beard that reached his waist. He was holding a small book stall where all the books for sale had OSHO written on them. There, I bought a very small book by Osho known as the "Philosphy of Non-Violence", it was the cheapest one. But when I read the book I was entralled and amazed by Oshos intellegence. This was my first encounter with Osho.

You took sanyass and have become a disciple of Osho, when and why did you decide to choose Osho as your spiritual master?

In 1998 I went to Pune. Even though I really felt close to Osho and did all the meditation I didnt take sannyaas. Later in Jan 2000, when I returned to Pune, my resistances collapsed. It was not a planned decision and I took sannyass. During the sannyaas celebration, the energy was so strong that I cried for an hour and I had no reason. I chose Osho as my spiritual master because he understood me and gave me the freedom to be myself. He had the answers to all my questions which I couldnt find anywhere else

What inspired you or motivated you to come here?

In London my friend informed me that Swami Arun was going to conduct a meditation camp in there. I did not want to miss this camp which took place outside the city. After participating in the camp my life was totally transformed. I got the real glimpse of meditation and experienced something which I had never experienced before. I had psychological problems since I was 17. When I went to Pune, I participated in many groups and visited the therapists there in the commune. After attending the therapies or groups in Pune, I would feel better for sometime but then it would return again. But when I took Swami Aruns camp, things started changing for me. Through Swami Arun I understood OSHO. I understood what it means to be a sanyassin and to be on a spiritual path. Then I really wanted to taste silence and when I watched Tapobans introductary documentary I immidiately decided to come to Tapoban.

You took Sannyaas in Pune and only recently you started wearing the mala again, why do you wear it now?

In Pune and everywhere else nobody gives importance to the mala. Though I was wearing it in the beginning I saw how insignificant it was for other sanyassins in Pune and other places so I stopped wearing it. But when I participate in Swami Aruns camp I felt his profound love and respect for mala and listening from him about the importance of Mala especially for us, the people from the West who do not consider it to be significant and take it as a commodity. I really felt the difference with the Mala which I received in sanyass as a token of love from the Master.

What was your first impression when you came to Tapoban?

When I first came here I had tons of problems, I was very low, depressed and suicidal. Outside it was very easy for me to distract myself but in Tapoban there was no escape. So here I had a total encounter with myself. All my problems intesified. Many times I wanted to fly back to Italy but within I felt that it was not the solution. Gradually I started feeling better and a trust for myself arose within me. After participating in the next camp conducted by Swami Arun I started going deeper in meditation. For the first time after many years I was relaxed in my body and mind.

I have seen that you are very regular in meditations and you attend all the five sessions in Rajneesh Dhyan Mandir. Which is your favorite meditation & Why?

I like Dynamic the most and here I can feel it going deep. It is the most powerful meditation and I can feel that it can transform life and the whole chemistry of the human body. It’s the perfect cure to everything and I thank Osho for creating it. If done with commitment and patience it can work wonders.

How have Osho Meditations changed your life?

The meditations completely transformed my life. When I started doing it regularly many habits dropped and it completely changed the chemistry of my body. As I started meditating my body started cleansing and many of my physcial problems got cured. The fear that I was carrying within started fading away and I have become more ready to be still and relaxed.

Interview Taken By: Swami Aatmo Neerav.